We’re excited to announce the Joy of Singing Virtual Choir!
Since we can’t be together at our normal Joy of Singing conferences, we’re inviting you to take part in our choir from the comfort of your own home. Please follow the instructions below and be sure to pass on to any other choral musicians who could use some joy. We’ll be premiering our edited performance at the Virtual Joy of Singing in July.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT: JUNE 15
Follow the onscreen instructions to record your part. Make sure we can hear the beep with your headphones unplugged and then plug them in and wait for the track to start. To practice your part, sign up for a FREE 30 day trial of Sheet Music Direct PASS, which now includes over 10,000 choral publications!
We’ll be choosing a few voices to sing the opening solo (m. 8-19) and the Descant Aurora part. Go ahead and sing those parts if you’re interested!
All Basses & Tenors should start singing at m. 13 and all Sopranos & Altos at m. 20 (pickup to 21) but please record the whole intro in your video.
Tips for recording a great video:
- Record your video on your laptop, tablet, or phone.
- If you're using a tablet or phone, make sure your phone is horizontal (landscape) and not vertical (portrait). If at all possible, use a tripod for your device or sit the device on something sturdy and stationary.
- Find a quiet place and use an external microphone if you have one (but not required!).
- You don't need to rent a studio to film your part. But, do your best to make sure the ambient noise (dishwashers, fire trucks, barking dogs, TVs, etc.) is at a minimum. The goal is to get a good, clean sound.
- Use headphones to listen to the JOS Into the Unknown Virtual Choir video. You don't want that audio to be in your video - just your voice!
- Position yourself in the center of the shot, and make sure you're filling up the frame.
Save your file:
- Use any standard video file format. (.mp4, .mov, .avi) All work great.
- When you name your file, use this standard naming convention:
YourPart_YourName.mp4 (or .mov, etc.)
- We ask that you keep your uploaded file size to 200MB or smaller. To do that we also ask that you make your video at 720p HD resolution in horizontal (landscape format). If you just recorded your absolute best performance in 1080p or 4K video and your file size is too large, no worries! There are many tools available that you can use to compress the video and still submit a file with great HD quality, below the file size limit.
Below is a list of available tools for Windows and MacOS plus Windows Mobile, iOS/iPadOS and Android. Most of these tools are free and are extremely easy to use.
JOS Virtual Choir Video Submission Instructions:
- Name your video with the following file naming convention:
VoicePart_YourName. ie: Soprano_BarbSmith.mp4
- Please send your videos to us via WeTransfer.com, to our email address firstname.lastname@example.org. We are unable to accept videos via any other method
- If you have any issues/questions, please get in touch via email@example.com
Video submissions can be submitted as early as June 6
Submissions are due by midnight, June 15.
Watch your favorite Joy of Singing retailers' website or the Hal Leonard website for the finished product to be posted in July!