Publisher: Berklee Press
Format: Digital Book/Online Audio
Learn to write songs! This book presents the basic concepts of popular songwriting, such as song construction, creativity techniques, melodic and harmonic development, how to write memorable lyrics, and other core topics. Hands-on exercises make it practical, and the accompanying online recording illustrates the concepts for those who don't yet read music.
Hal Leonard Digital Books are cloud-based publications, which are streaming
and require internet access. Upon purchase, you will be provided with an access
code and a link to Hal Leonard's MyLibrary site, where you can view your digital
book along with supplemental audio or video where applicable.
- Fast loading desktop and mobile experience
- Auto-resume across devices
- Quick search, note taking and bookmarking for easy reference
- Responsive book design, so things look great on mobile too
- New books being added regularly... check back often at https://www.halleonard.com/digitalbook/!
- “Andrea is a master of her craft and a fantastic teacher to boot. The book is bursting with helpful tools that are pretty awesome to have all in one place, and even after writing songs for twenty years, it was an inspiring refresher for me.” – Mike Schmid, Artist, Songwriter, Keyboardist, and Backing Vocalist (Miley Cyrus)
- “Andrea Stolpe has done it again! Following her wonderful book, Popular Lyric Writing: 10 Steps to Effective Storytelling, she's written a comprehensive, clear roadmap for young songwriters (of any age) who want to stock their tool belts with more effective ways to craft their songs. Andrea covers both the lyrical and musical aspects of the craft in easy-to-follow steps. Bravo, Andrea!” – Pat Pattison, Author, Clincian, and Berklee College of Music Professor of Lyric Writing and Poetry
- “This book is a 'must have' for the beginning songwriter! Whether you're formally trained or write songs by ear, Beginning Songwriting will give you a clear and comprehensive road map to writing great songs. In detailed chapters on lyrics, melody, and chord structure, Andrea Stolpe uncovers the magic behind what makes a song work. This is more than just the ABCs of Songwriting. It's the whole alphabet!” – Susan Cattaneo, Songwriter, Artist, and Professor of Songwriting at Berklee College of Music
- “Andrea Stolpe is a gifted writer and a fabulous teacher! Beginning Songwriting is a must read for anyone writing songs. I can't think of a more qualified person than Andrea Stolpe to write a book to help people navigate the windy creative road every great songwriter eventually goes down.” – Steve Seskin, Songwriter, Artist, and Producer
Prices and availability subject to change without notice.